Friday, December 28, 2007

Home & Back Again

LA was nice and warm. And as always the food was good. It was a pretty relaxing time down there. Saw a few friends and the grandparents got to spend some quality time getting to know the little monster in my life.

As usual there is not that much to do at my parents place. A couple years ago, after we purchased the Game Cube, we retired the N-64 to my parents place. Now trips down there meant countless hours spent with Dr. Mario. Stay away from this game. It's somewhat addictive.

After years of driving up and down Interstate 5, I decided to try something a little different. I told the wife I was taking the scenic route and would go through the dessert instead of LA. We started up the 15 to the 399 to the 58 to the 99 to the 46and caught Interstate 5 around a place called Wasco. We went through countless towns with colorful names that I had never heard of before. I'm sure most of you will need a map if you're interested in finding Adelanto or Tehachapi.

As expected, parts of the drive were boring, and parts were boring. For a guy like me it's not everyday you see Joshua trees or stark mountains poking out of the sand. It was nice. What I wasn't expecting was dangerous. At one point near the town of Mojave, we went right through and honest to goodness sandstorm. I mean when we looked to the left, we could see a wall of moving sand that reached the sky. I mean when we caravaned through at 15 miles per hour, I could barely see the car 10 feet in front of me. I mean we could hear the sand beating against our car like it was shot out of a gun. I haven't checked the paint that carefully, but I wouldn't be surprised if the left side of my car was now a slightly different shade from the right side.

So yeah, we added about two hours to the drive and risked an adventure that we probably didn't need to, but now that it's said and done, I'm glad we did. I've now seen something new that I never thought I'd see in my life.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a path less traveled provides views seldom seen, then again, sometimes there’s a reason a path less traveled is less traveled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home