Thursday, November 08, 2007

What it's like at a convention.

I just got back from 5 days at a convention of people in the same general industry as myself. Fascinating. I've been at my particular place of employment for roughly six years. And I see no real impetus to change. In general, this gig works for me. But I found myself surround by people who do similar work, but they view this industry as a career and not just a job. A career? Do I have one of those? I could be here or somewhere else for the next thirty years and I don't think I'd ever look at what I do as a career. It's always just felt like a job.

So this forum gave me the opportunity to meet like-employed people from across the country. It gave some insight into how my place of employment stood as an institution, and where my particular office stood compare to others and even how my particular job function compared to others. Did I think about where else I'd like to go? How I could advance up the career path? Not really. I think I just appreciated again where I am, and think about things I could improve right here where I am.

Five days of classes. Some good. Some bad. Some interesting entertainment. Mostly good. Keynote speaker. Just bad. Really bad. Many contacts. I'm sure I'll hear from some of them. Much food. Even more alcohol. Mucho booze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home