Thursday, December 06, 2007

Another bad gun day.

The headline read, "Mall shooter hid assault rifle in sweatshirt." I'm thinking the NRA is probably going to come out with a campaign outlawing baggy sweatshirts. People don't kill people, baggy sweatshirts kill people.

Occssionally these seemingly random acts of violence just pop up. The thing that most people don't seem to notice is that this happens disproportionately in the US because we love our guns and we don't seem to mind that crazy people, even those with criminal records, get their hands on them.

Okay, I'm not an anti-gun nut. I don't own one and I never will, but I actually think the 2nd Amendment was written to protect that as a right. It was written at a different time and place, and I would probably take it out if I was writing the Constitution today. But all rights have limitations, and it's perfectly reasonable to say 1. Crazy People should not own guns. 2. Assult rifles are not necessary for personal protection.

That doesn't seem so difficult, but for some reason it is. This isn't new ground. See Bowling for Columbine. But for some reason we're forced to go over it over and over again and more random folks end up with unwanted bullets.

I blame the NRA. They've gone off the deep end as to their gun advocacy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home