Friday, June 02, 2006

Still a geo-novice and something I stumbled across.

Today my work/geocaching group went on our second expedition. We went to the New Guinea garden on campus that features a wooden alligator log drum and several other neat Polynesean sculptures.

After some searching we did find a little metal box. However, we were quite confused when we opened the box. Inside was a little posting that said, "This is not a Geocache! Inside was a small logbook with stamped entries and a rubber stamp. There was also a reference to letterbox.com.

At first I thought, okay this is interesting. Who ever posted coordinates at the geocache site must be some sort of prankster doing an elaborate marketing scheme for this other website. How not cool.

It turns out we never did find the actual microcache out there, (we'll have to go back sometime). And letterbox is a legitimate alternative to geocache. It seems to be the same scavenger hunt concept without the neat little GPS toys.

A competitor. Who would have thunk it? One of my co-workers is much more prepared for geocaching than I am now. She's gone out and got a $450 GPS device that has more functions than my phone and my GPS put together. Color touch screens and all kinds of funky applications. She's also got the Dummies Guide to Geocaching that she's slowly working through. She's way hipper than I am, isn't she?

1 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Dinesh Ramde said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home