Monday, May 01, 2006

Hat Trick

Okay, it's already May, so this is the last time I mention hockey for a while.

The other week when we went to the goal, I pointed out to my wife, "Hey Cherchoo's got two goals. If he gets three, they call it a hat trick." And of course, he did it. At which point hundreds of hats when flying through the arena landing all over the ice. The game was nearly over, but it had to be delayed several minutes while people picked up all the hats.

According to wikipedia, the hat tradition goes back to tipping the cap in cricket. Though it seems suspiciously like the flowers they throw at bullfights, or whatever they used to throw at the gladiators back in the day. I get that, but throwing octopus thing they do (or did) in Detroit. That's probably crossing the line.

Anyway, the little tidbit I found out this weekend that makes me blog is this. I actually know what happens to all those hats now. They get cleaned and sent to Packard's Children Hospital. I probably have a half dozen hats that the wife wouldn't mind taking to a hockey game now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home