Wednesday, September 01, 2010

New School #4

Little J starts her fourth school today and she's not yet 4. J was happy at the last one and learning things (the Pledge of Allegiance already?) but there were some pretty clear signs the place wasn't being run very well. Things that the school clearly would need to get better at if it wants to survive.

So instead she's starting an immersion Chinese program. All day in Chinese. My poor kid, doesn't really get Chinese. I imagine she's going to be completely lost for the first month.

I've spent the last week cramming with her. Trying to teach her a few useful phrases, but she picks it up as slowly at school as she does at home, she's in for a world of hurt. She's got an American accent to her Chinese. Moreso than either my wife or I. It's funny, yet disturbing.

My mom made the observation, that my generation didn't do so hot with learning Chinese. The thought at that time was English was essential to getting ahead. Now it's that Chinea is going to take over the world so kids should learn Chinese.

I'm going with the thought that J will pick it up pretty quickly and that we'll all somehow end up better for it in the long run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home