Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day Experience

I like voting at the pollls. A lot of people like the ease of early voting, but I like going to the polls seeing other people there and actually watching them vote. It's watching democracy in action. Just like I like going to the store instead of ordering clothing on-line. There's just something satisfying about being there, even if it isn't as easy and all votes end up counting the same.

Maybe the new gadgetry at my polling place was all about bringing in the vote. It was like playing a video game. Spin the dial. Select the candidate. See your decisions on the screen and on the paper print out. Hit the big red button that says, "Cast Ballot". The whole thing took less than five minutes.

Maybe it took so little time because we headed out so early. Wifey and I were both up by 6:30. But we didn't know what the lines were going to be like. We also wanted to disrupt our little tyke's morning routine as little as possible. So Wifey went to vote while I got the kid changes and started the feeding. Wifey can home to take over as I went to vote and leave for work. In the old days, we just went to the polling place together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home