Friday, September 19, 2008

Six weeks left.

These are interesting times. I'm finding myself more of a politics and news junkie than usual. I'm watching cable news. I'm surfing all kinds of sites. I hope all of you are paying attention. We've already taken so many wrong steps. 2000 felt like an important election, but this time around I feel like we may be dealing with the most important presidential election of my lifetime. This drama at its best.

Some thoughts.
1. The talking heads on cable news sometimes have a really tough job. I've seen Palin totally blow an answer on a question. And she'll have to answer for it, but there's usually someone on tv trying to spin and clean up for her. And sometimes, it strains all reason. I don't know whether to yell or laugh. And bit by bit, as these people spin, they lose credability. If it weren't so incestuous, they wouldn't be invited back.

2. Whoever gets elected faces incredible challenges. Junior has left piles of steamy dung sitting all over the globe. And the next president will have less authority because of it. So much effort will be wasted cleaning up that the bold new iniatives America really needs are probably not going to happen.

3. There are a couple reasons to pick one candidate over another. Policy is one. Qualifications and personality are others. And qualifications are purposely vague, but if I had to be honest, I feel like I am probably just as qualified as the republican vp choice. True, I've never ran a state or even been mayor of a town. But I do have a degree in international relations. Given a minimum of prep, I think I could take her in a debate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home