Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Reading List

For the last year or so I've kept a list of the books I've read. According to my list I've finished 26 books. 14 novels, 7 short story collections and the rest non-fiction or commentary. The numbers surprise me a little. I would have guessed between 15 and 20 books. I also would have thought more short stories and less novels.

I guess if I had to pick one book that I read this year that everyone should read, I would pick Obama's Audacity of Hope. I read it knowing full well that it was a pre-campaign testing out the waters of the Presidency idea sort of book. In parts, it reads like a campaign speech. But it is effective in laying out his vision. It's very readable and since he actually wrote it and didn't have someone write it for him, you can see how he thinks.

It's an important book. Maybe everyone who's thinking about running for president should write a book a year or two before he starts campaigning. Sort of like a job application. And it doesn't count if you have someone ghostwrite it. I think McCain has 5 autobiographies out that he didn't actually write. That's all someone else adding spin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home