Friday, May 18, 2007

Point of View

I haven't really talked about writing in a while. The easy answer would be blaming it on the little one and all that she demands. That's just a fact of life now. She needs time and attention and I enjoy giving it to her. It's endlessly entertaining. But that's not really why writing has been challenging recently.

I'm actually in the middle of two or three short pieces that should finish pretty soon. One is about Elvis and one is about a kid at a gas station. I've never taken an improv class, but I imagine this writing is sort of like that. Tell a quick joke or something and make it smart and clever. It's easy when inspired. It's not so easy if you think about it too much.

And I have started getting a little bit into the idea for a novel. I don't have a story to hang all my brilliant ideas around yet, but thinking about it. I'm been wondering about what point of view to write it in. First person or third? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Overall first is probably easier, more natural, because that's how people talk, but there are limitations on what you can accomplish over a couple hundred pages in one voice too. I've written stories in both, but I need to know my story better before I can really get out there on what view point to use.

Just reading the Kite Runner. Good novel.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kite Runner was a perfect story, almost too perfect.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Rid said...

Wifey was very irriated by the child's suicide attempt at the end. She prefers a happy happy ending. Hosseini was featured in Time Magazine this week because his second novel is set to hit the shelves soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home