Thursday, February 15, 2007

ER adventure

I went after the wrong rebound Tuesday night and ended up with an elbow in the face and a pretty deep cut on the left cheek, right below the eye. The doctors playing ball with me recommended that I go by the emergency room to have it checked out.

I'll be okay. The attending physician's assistant gave me the choice of a sutre or dermabond. In either case I'd probably end up with some mild discomfort over the next few days and a little scar.

Emergency rooms treatments could be long drawn out affairs. I spent over two hours at the hospital for about five minutes of actual treatment. But as much as I'd like to blame someone I don't know if there is anyone to hold accountable. Hospitals are just not always going to be the most efficient places and that's because they should have better priorities.

But emergency rooms are facinating places. Everyone walks in with a story about how something happened to them with the result being some sort of suffering or pain. I overheard them treating a woman with constipation, another with chemical burns and a one year old boy with a bit of a fever. (Yes, they all got treated before me.) I can see why television shows have returned to this sort of medical theme over and over again, be it General Hospital, St. Elsewhere or ER. Though I don't think I could ever right a hospital story. I'm squeamish enough as it is and having absolutely no experience I could never make the story my own. I'll have to find something else to occupy my writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home