Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Blind leading blind

Someone was trying to get Sandra and I to volunteer our time up in Berkeley. There's a program related to the Cal optometry program where you learn how to ballroom dance with a blindfold and after that you teach blind people how to ballroom dance. This well-meaning friend thought that my wife and I might enjoy dancing and bringing some smiles to people. Actually, it sounds like a great idea if we weren't who we were.

I have two left feet, but one of them is mildly deformed and masquerades as a right foot. And with dancing, as with most things I do, my individualism shines through rather than my ability to follow direction. Imagine a trusting person with no vision trying to dance with a person with two uneven feet. It's just not a good idea.

She thinks we were just looking for a polite way not to volunteer. In this case, we're doing a service by not volunteering. But if anyone wants to spend one Saturday a month dancing up in Berkeley let me know and I'd be happy to hook you up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home