Wednesday, March 23, 2011

More hospital nights.

I haven't been to the office for five work days, but it really hasn't been a refreshing experience. It started off well enough. I spent much of the first two day and weekend watching basketball. There were some good games. My pools ended pretty early, but it has still been fun, and I've really liked being able to watch whatever games I want online.

The last three days have been spent up in the pediatric neurology unit up at UCSF. This wasn't prompted by any particular trauma or event, it was just some more testing. More eegs. They took the 20 leads or so and glued them to S's head again. She was actually a pretty good sport about it. They were trying to catch some particular behaviors, so essentially, I had to sit there and stare at my kid ALL DAY & NIGHT trying to catch a twitch and hit a button and hope that it wasn't a seizure event.

Staying over at a hospital is a step above being in prison or an insane asylum but not as nice as a hotel. We had our own room and our own bathroom (not that S used it). But essentially, I was trapped. I had TV with cable, internet access and hospital quality food and bedding, but little time for any of it. Especially the sleeping. Only when Wifey dropped by for a few hours each night did I get any break.

S seems like she's comfortable in almost any environment. She didn't love having all these things strapped to her head, but she handled it better than I probably would have. The problem was there were a couple kids in nearby rooms screaming their heads off all night. Literally. It seemed like the kid next door spent hours yelling at her mom.

For some reason I felt dirtier coming back from three days in the hospital than I have from a three day camping trip out in the wilderness.

1 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little S seemed to be taking it in stride. May God bless you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home