Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cutting a small check

Today I paid my annual membership due for the American Civil Liberties Union. In some circles that makes me a Nazi supporter or a godless babykiller, but I don't believe I'm supporting any of those things. The people with the money make the laws in this country. All the rest of us have to protect us is our Bill of Rights, the ACLU and our own dilgence. I feel like supporting the ACLU is supporting the best organization out there working in support of our own liberty. They are the ones who line up at the front to tell the goverenment it is wrong to keep a person off a plane because of his/her skin color. They are the ones defending free speech on the internet. They are the ones protecting reproductive privacy. They've made a lot of difference in many lives. But their struggles continue as the government has trended towards more oppressiveness in the post 9/11 era.

In all honesty, I should probably do more to support the causes I believe in. I should learn more about one of the specific causes. Act on it. Maybe all of you could drop them a little support for them too.

1 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Blogger Dinesh Ramde said...

While you're cutting a check for the ACLU, you should write another one to UCLA. It's equally as noble an institution for its successes in producing citizens of integrity and honor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home