Monday, October 30, 2006

The Miracle


One week ago today, my life changed for good with the birth of my daugher, Jordan. I will probably spend the rest of my life figuring out exaactly what the implications of this event are, but she is healthy and I am blessed.

Still, this hasn't been the easiest week. It seems like one of nature's little tricks is to force you to get to know your child right away. She is completely dependent on you for everything, yet besides inartculate screams, she really can't tell you what she needs. A lot of it is guesswork. And as every parent before me can readily attest to, newborns have no sense of time, day or night or any of that. I can honestly say I have slept less in the last week, than I ever have. Maybe feeling that bit of pain is another lesson. It reminds you a little how painful it must be to be a newborn.

Anyway, these experiences have given me new appreciation for three heroes in my life. First of all, my mom. Yes, she raised me and that is reason enough for her to win a Congressional Medal, but she has also dedicated her entire career to working as a delivery room nurse. I always knew this, but for some reason, I always thought of this as an easy job and rewarding in some sense, because of the miracle they participate in every day. Now, I have experienced first hand what delivery room nurses go through day in and day out and I am amazed at their professionalism and their fortitude. It is not an easy job and the people who do it deserve our appreciation.

Second is my partner for life, Wifey. There are a million things in life, you will never understand until you try it for yourself, and this probably tops the list. Still, Wifey proved throughout that she was up to the challenge. Childbirth is a wonderful thing, but it comes through the blood, sweat and tears of women. I guess, the simplist thing to say is, I am happy I was born a guy, that I will never have to go through pregnancy or the hours of labor. It's just not something I think I could endure.

The third hero is little Jodi herself. Pushed out of her comfy little house into the bright, cold world where monsters abound. There are many amazing things to experience in life, and I'll do what I can to get her through them, to teach her to make decisions so she can always know what to do and what not to do. And each time she does the right thing, I'll smile to myself at her courage, her intelligence and how she has made the gift of life her own. She will amaze us all.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Prepare to be smitten!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home