Sunday, January 08, 2006

Sharks on the move.

I have not been a huge hockey fan. It rates somewhere above bowling, but below college football in holding my interest. That settles it somewhere aroudn the leveo of the WNBA or the World's Strongest Man competition. But I think after last night's action, I might have to take a more serious look at the sport in the future.

I went to the game last night where the San Jose Sharks knocked off the first place LA Kings 3-2 at the HP Shark Tank. Every seat was taken and the place was maddingly loud. It was a riveting game, even for a casual fan like me. It was great to cheer when people cleared the puck from their zone or ooh and ahh and plays that just didn't quite develop. But the biggest cheers are reserved for when someone from the home team rams an opposing player into the wall on a check. Pretty cool.

I think I've never developed an affinity for the game because my parents certainly weren't going to take me to a game and it translates really poorly on TV. On TV, it looks like soccer on ice, low scoring and not a lot going on. Because the game moves so quickly, you really need to be able to see the whole playing surface to get a real sense of what's going on. Baseball and basketball are pretty good on TV but better live. Football is better on TV. There are much fewer stoppages with subs jumping in and out while the clock runs. What I'd say is try a hockey game live, and you might start to appreciate it. I'll probably try and go again sometime.

1 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good hockey game is great fun to watch. It can surely get your blood roiling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home