Thursday, February 09, 2012

Credibility Gap/Domestic

Just one quick note on my last post. I guess if I want to consider myself a total lefty, I have to take O to task for not being able to fulfill his campaign promise to close Guantamano while talking about foreign policy. Yeah. This is a mess. There's no good place to put these really bad people. I get that. But I also have no good answers for this. We can't let them go, and we can't try them all publicly. But it's a lot harder to clean up this mess than to start it. At least we can credibly say we're not torture people.

Okay. There are two things driving right wingers in this election. One is fiscal things. One is cultural. Today, I'm just going to touch on the fiscal thing. These people have essentially one policy. In good times, we should cut taxes. In bad times, we should cut taxes. We should especially cut taxes on rich people and corporations so they can have MORE incentive to make money (as if money in itself is not incentive). Self serving garbage. Not one of the Republican candidates is really talking about what they would do for the economy. Their only answers are to undo everything O has done. Take away financial regulation. Take away healthcare. Just common sense should tell you that this doesn't always work. That's all the have. That's it. Cutting taxes can be effective policy at times, but it is far from the answer to everything.

Will soaking it to the rich help? Yes and no. It's really not going to be more than a drop in the bucket to fix the budget issues. But it's still the right thing to do. It's the American thing to do. I can't believe so many politicians are standing on the wrong side of this issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home