Friday, July 25, 2008

Where are all the tree huggers?

The building where I work is being torn down soon to make way for a bigger more impressive building without me in it. I'm being marched off to some trailer somewhere else. They've moved several trees that the deemed worth saving. Others have recently been marked with a giant fluorescent death mark in the form of an X. The sprinklers have been shut off and all the grass is dying the long yellow death of thirst.

Up in Berkeley, there are other trees marked for doom. For 17 months, some people have lived in these trees to prevent the falling of the ax. I'm not sure I fully get the protest. These weren't native trees. These were trees planted back in the 1920s to provide a pleasant environment. Yes, I guess it's sad when any tree dies, but many of these trees will be moved. Is this just a protest against all progress? The athletic program can't get a new facility built because of these protesters. 17 months. UC has stopped these tree folk from getting outside food. They get energy bars with 1800 calories a day, the minimum a doctor says they need to survive. And they get water. And I guess, they take this food to survivve even though it seems like they should refuse the food, if they really wanted to send a message. 17 months. I guess, these folks really didn't have anything else to do.

Still, I see the trees outside, and I wonder, where are all the tree huggers? Outside of Berkeley, does anyone care?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home