Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More commute thoughts.

I filled my gas tank for the first time in 3 weeks this morning, meaning, I've actually saved about one tank of gas since using a biking/public transportation commute. It's not a bad thing. I get a little reading done. I get a little exercise done. I'm rewarding myself on saving that first gas tank by going to the Yankees game tonight. They're in town to play the A's. That tank of gas costs about the same as a field level ticket these days. The NBA finals game will have to wait on Tivo.

Though on Friday, the public commute thing didn't turn out to be the best experience. Someone got struck by a train about two stops south of where I catch the train. The 7th this year. We're quickly set to break last year's mark of 8. There was an investigation that left commuters stranded for at least an hour and a half, much longer in some cases.

The police naturally have to investigate, but unless someone sees someone else push someone in front, I'm sure they end of declaring most of these suicide attempts. That's sad. People shouldn't feel they need to take their lives and if they do, I can't see the train as being the best way. Yes, a train has a lot of momentum. But really, I think the death would occur through dismemberment as a body is crushed on the rails. Does anybody really want to suffer that way?

I'm a little ahead on my goal to save 3 tanks of gas this summer. Maybe I'll get to 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home