Monday, April 04, 2005

Which Cheek?

At times I can be a very opinionated person. Not it a manipulative mom sort of way, but in a stick-my-nose where it might not belong sort of way. At these moments I can't help myself, as I opine about other people’s actions, behavior, or even their way of thinking.

Usually I only do this when I get peeved at something. Maybe this is okay. I should be an advocate for the things I believe in and spread the word, change the world, make a difference. I should let people know how I feel. But I also know when I get in that mode, I can rub people the wrong way. I can get rude and obnoxious. So is there a proper time to rebuke someone and a proper time to turn the other cheek?

I'm a lawyer by training and have forgotten how to see things in black and white. There’s a lot of gray, but I think the thing to think about is context. If you're at a ballgame or a fast food joint 300 miles from home and you hear a racial slur you might let it go. If it comes from a friend, a co-worker, or a child, you should say something. If someone at the other table is about to order an endangered Chilean Sea Bass for dinner, maybe you let it go. If it's someone at your own table, maybe you should comment on the tragic turn that species is taking. (But still, try and remember ultimately it isn't your meal)

If you don't say something, your friends and family will never learn to value your opinion. And you’ll forever have to put up with whatever offensive remark, habit, or sin over and over again. So if the context is right, I think it's great to let your thoughts be known. We can all use help to be better people and vote for the right political candidates. That’s probably better than pouring thoughts into a blog that no one is ever going to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home