Monday, July 10, 2006

How my writing class is going.

Writing class has been more work than I thought. Each week I've got three or four stories to read and edit. It means I have to read them a bunch of times and write substantial critiques. It's an interesting exercise. Bad stories take a lot of editing. And this is polite society and not the truthful honest exchange you can give to your friends, you can't just rip on writers and their stories. You have to find something nice to say about everyone. And on the flipside, there are some people who really know how to write already. They have great characteres and great decriptions and you wonder why the story they are showing you hasn't been published already. Those are even to critique. So those stories that are in between where you've got something valuable and constructive to say, but not too much, that's hitting the sweet spot.

All this editing means, I don't have anytime for my own writing in these next few weeks, but I'm learning stuff from being there, and in the long run that should help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home