Monday, March 06, 2006

Next volley in the abortion argument.

The abortion issue continues to divide this country and probably will continue to divide this country long after I'm around. The Supreme Court has swung and today a new law in South Dakota has been signed to challenge Roe v. Wade. It's very likely that the world I grew up in, one that respected a woman's right to choose whether or not a nine month (if not an entire life) commitment is going to be taken away from that woman and regulated by the State. It's probably not a good thing.

I wish I could say with certainty that one side was right or wrong in this issue. It's hard to argue that life shouldn't be valued, but it's also hard to argue that a woman wouldn't be the best judge of whether or not she's willing and able to take care of such a large responsibility as a new born infant.

So what it really comes down to for me, is that I am not confident that I should tell a woman how to live her life. So why should the government? I wish I had something smarter to say on the whole topic.

But this isn't the only battle. Potentially, this Supreme Court will be marching all over your rights for the next 30 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home